Lamar on Life

From a Christian living in a Gulf country. The Middle East, Arabic, understanding Muslims, outreach to Muslims are to be addressed. In addition, thoughts, reflections, and book reviews will be posted.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I just read The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. It's an Afghani story and as they would say,"wah-wah" (wow!) And to Mr. Khaled I say, "tashakor" (thanks). It is the story of a boy who becomes weighted down with shame and tries to find redemption. It's also a story of heros. I won't give away the ending, even though the author insists that Afghanis always tell you the ending of the story first so you will know whether you want to start the journey or not. He writes, "If someone were to ask me today whether the story ... ends with happiness, I wouldn't know what to say." I wouldn't know what to say either; however, I will say that I actually burst into tears on the last page, and I didn't even know why.

Although this is not a Christian book, it is the kind of book that I wish Christians would write. Sin and redemption, the power of forgiveness and love over evil. I know I now have images in my mind that help me see the cross in a brighter light.

I read the first half of the book thinking that it was non-fiction, but I noticed there were things in it that were just too coincidental to be actual. Then I turned to the back and saw a note on the author that this was his first novel. At first I was disappointed that the story wasn't true. But then realized I wasn't looking deep enough to see what was the Truth in the story.

Recently, a man said to me (I thought with a hint of pride in his voice) "I don't read novels; it's not a good use of my time. I read the Bible or theology books mostly." I thought at the time, that there's a man who may have a hard time hearing the voice of Jesus. If you think about the stories Jesus told, 90% of them seem to be fiction. Maybe He did also give a lot of theological, historical, or social commentary as well, but the New Covenant was inaugurated with parables and stories so that those with ears to hear could hear and believe. After reading this book by a Muslim I think my hearing may have improved a bit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Laura W. said...

Yea! I'm so glad you started a blog. You have at least one loyal reader! Tell everyone I say hi - salam alay kulhom (? I tried)

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No! 2 loyal readers!
I am equally as happy that you started a blog. Now I can tell my mom about you and maybe get her to navigate the information highway all by herself!
Love, Your niece, Jessica

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home